Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 4 weeks ago

How do doctors usually do a breast exam for teens? I’m 17 ?

6 days ago

Exact same way for women I8+ I'd truly imagine bjkpqvz

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

The doctor will ask you to lie down on your back or may even preform the exam while you are in the sitting position. The doctor will put his fingers together and begin to touch your breast, with a little pressure, in a slight circular motion in one area at a time, changing the location of his hand until he works his way around your  breast. Then he will put slight pressure on your nipple area and move it around. The purpose of the pressure and movement is to feel for abnormalities in your breast tissue. 

This exam will not tickle or hurt and it really takes just a couple of minutes. I tend to close my eyes and concentrate on my breathing during what I call my "girly exams". I will not lie, it is so uncomfortable at first...not physically uncomfortable, just awkwardly uncomfortable.

The laws in my state require an assistant to be in the room during the physical breast or vaginal exams. I suggest you make that request if you are not comfortable being exposed that way with just your doctor in the room.

It may sound odd right now, but once you have had exams  especially with the same doctor, you will be more comfortable as trust is built. Stay healthy!

The same way that they would for adult women. And let me remind you that unless you're getting care from your family doctor (who may or may not be female) chances are high that it will be a woman instead of a man who does this kind of exam.

What you are describing is called a clinical breast exam. It is done to check for lumps or growths that might be indicative of cancer. Keep in mind that lumps don't always indicate cancer- there are a number of other conditions that can cause them. Breast exams only take a few minutes per side, and they aren't painful. One thing your doctor or nurse practitioner might also do is use this as a chance to show you how to do a breast self exam, which is something you need to start doing as soon as you turn 18. BSE's should be performed monthly, about a week after your period.

To check to see if there are any lumps in their breast. When you go to the gynecologist for a pap smear they do it first then once you hit 40, they do a mammogram.

• Edna

The doctor exams the breasts of a teen woman  because he wants to find out if he can feel any lumps in the breast (other than the usual lumps he expects to feel).. Such a lump could be indicative of a cyst or breast cancer.  

• Helen

This has happened to me several times, and also at that age.

If you have found a lump then the procedure will be the same however old you are.

You will undress your top half behind a screen and the doctor will examine your breast. If your doctor is male, there will likely be a female nurse also present to oversee. This is to protect you from any impropriety, and to protect him from any false allegations.

Your doctor will be trained to know what to look for, and will likely at the time be able to tell you how likely it is that the lump is cancerous (and please be assured that at your age, it more than likely isn't).

Usually doctors will just feel your breasts to see if there's any unhealthy symptoms. 

probably the same way they do it for anyone else

• mokrie

I don't see why a teen would need a breast exam but if it happens it's the same as it would be for a 40 year old woman. They have to press and feel for lumps and if they feel anything then they would do a mammogram to Xray the breast tissue.