Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 4 weeks ago

If you use an no log VPN, would the government authorities be able to trace or track you down?

I'm an activist and so I use an VPN in hopes to keep the authorities being unable to trace my ip address. I mostly do my stuff while on public wifi on VPN. Would the authorities be able to track me down if I use an VPN ?

with a court order, yes ... the VPN people will comply and give them your real ID

Yes, if / when they can be bothered. All it means is they have to trace the connection in two stages rather than just one.

Note that they usually monitor online criminals for some months or even years before an arrest, to ensure they have plenty of indisputable evidence and also trace and record other people the criminal communicates with, doing similar things.

And be aware that each and every action you take that even just breaks the owners rules on a web site is technically a criminal offence with a penalty up to six months imprisonment, pretty much world wide. 

Thousands of people are prosecuted every year for internet offences, even just persistent trolling to the point site owners get fed up and report them.

• Enigma

Tor and a VPN are supposed to be more secure.

Understand something from the outset.  Proxy may make it harder for the average tech to find you, but with a government warrant, they must release your information. You are NEVER unknown on the internet, when it comes to the law.  

Don't do anything that would get you in trouble.