What car(s) handle similar to a 964 C2 (non turbo)?

Okay, so my one of dream cars is a 199x Porsche 911 C2 (964)that makes 700hp from a twin turbo 3.8L engine. I’ve only drove front wheel drive cars. First car was a ‘13 corolla S and second car was a ‘14 VW Jetta S. I’m thinking about selling the Jetta and getting something that handles relatively close to a stock 964 C2.. so far I only got a list consisting of a lotus Elise, Lotus Espirit (by the looks of it I wouldn’t be able to afford the V8 version), Porsche Cayman and Alfa Romeo 4C. I know these are mid engine but the only rear engined car I could think of was a VW beetle Type 1.. so my question is what handles similar to a stock 964? 

• Neil

Only a stock 964 C2 will handle like a stock 964 C2. Nothing else has the same weight distribution and suspension characteristics. Even an earlier or later 911 (e.g. 930 or 993) won't handle quite like a 964.

The closest other cars I can think of are the rear-engined Skodas from the 1970s and 80s (but I believe they handle more like a less-grippy older 911), or the rear-engined Alpine-Renault sports cars from the 1960s to 1990s. The later GT/GTA and A610 will be closest to a 964, but even in France they are rarer than the 964 these days.

Call for an insurance quote first seth.  Your dreams will shut down when you hear the quote.

AS THE SAYING GOES ... "Porsche. There is no substitute". 

.

In other words, nothing you can afford. 

(bonus lesson: It's "I've only driven...", not "I've only drove.")

An old Fiat X1/9 was pretty underpowered , but handled great.

A Toyota MRII