Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Can my dogs previous owner ask for any amount they want for breeding rights and registration papers? ?

The dog was paid for over a year ago. They now are saying he was purchased on a pet contract not a breeding contract. They are asking for 5 thousand dollars for the rights. Is that not way to much? I don’t even want to breed I simply don’t want to neuter. Should I argue them? Is there no way out of this? 

Technically these contracts are illegal. They wouldn't hold up in court. She advertised a papered dog and didn't deliver. You can't put stipulations like that on the contract legally. She won't give them to you though because she wants to keep the competition down. Save your money and get the pup registered with the Continental Kennel Club. They require proof of breed but with a purebred that's no trouble at all. I've been a breeder with CKC for almost twenty years. In my opinion they are more about the dogs than AKC and less about the money. I've been happy with them. Good luck with your papers.

Source(s): Lhasa Apso breeder for 25 years

The breeder is within his or her rights to ask for compensation for violation of contract, and it sounds like you have decided to violate your contract by not neutering your dog the way you agreed to when you purchased him. Reputable breeders do this to protect their business, pal. They can't afford to take the chance that your dog will wind up siring a bunch of pups that might lower the breed standard, or worse introduce undesirable genetic defects into the lineage of his offspring. Doing this would damage their reputation considerably, and impair their ability to earn a living.

Why don't you want to neuter your dog? Neutered animals LIVE LONGER, and are much healthier than their unneutered counterparts. You aren't robbing your dog of anything by not letting him breed. He'll be less likely to run off without the hormonal influence, and even better, his risk of serious diseases like cancer will be much lower than if you don't have him fixed. Neutered dogs are also far less aggressive than males that are left entire.

I'm sure you've probably fallen in with the old myth which says that neutered animals become fat. That's BS. If your dog gets fat after the surgery, it will be because you feed him too much and don't exercise him enough, NOT because of the surgery itself.

• Ocimom

If you signed a contract agreeing to neuter the dog, you should neuter the dog.  Otherwise they are entitled to "breeding rignts" and can charge more.  $5,000 is a lot but they may not get that much if they take you to court.  Either neuter the dog or come to an agreement on how much for breeding rights.

The simple answer is yes, they can -- if they believe that you are likely to sell pups. Or even if you want to make the dog a show dog.

You have to prove that you won't go into competition against them.

• "Can my dogs previous owner ask for any amount they want for breeding rights and registration papers? ?"

Yes - they DID!

Whether you are required to AGREE to those terms depends on whether you have ALREADY agreed to them orally or - better still - in writing before accepting that pooch.

YOU should have a copy of any agreement made before you bought the dog.

WE cannot tell whether the breeder (presumably who you got the dog from) is a con-artist or you are extremely forgetful. Getting a magistrate or judge to decide is going to be expensive for someone!

There are 3 relevant issues there that you haven't yet explained.

💥📄1: If you signed a Breeding Contract or any other agreement with this breeder, what does that Agreement/Contract STATE? Please click [Edit] then [Add Update], and copy that document word-for-word for us to see and evaluate. Check CAREFULLY before posting it to us.

💥🐕‍🦺2: Why did you agree to buy a pooch WITHOUT getting a Change of Ownership to put Pup into your name with your nation's one internationally accepted kennel club?

(If you're a Yank or Reb, only the AKC counts, although it is too arrogant to belong to the FCI and accept being outvoted by a majority of the other member nations: http://www.fci.be/en/members/ - I think there are currently 99 FCI member-nations, spread across 3 categories. Two other non-members are The KC (Britain) and CKC (Canada).)

💥📅3: Why are (A) you the Asker and (B) the Breeder NOW - a year or more later - concerned about breeding rights?

• "The dog was paid for over a year ago. They now are saying he was purchased on a pet contract not a breeding contract. They are asking for 5 thousand dollars for the rights. Is that not way to much? I don’t even want to breed I simply don’t want to neuter."

If you signed a Pet Contract I would be amazed were his stud fees to be worth $5,000.

💥🔪4: WHY don't you want him neutered?

Neutering saves you worrying about him mating any bìtches, saves him being frustrated & going off his food each time a bìtch up-wind of him is on-heat, reduces his urge to scent-mark "his" territory - including corners & furniture in your house. Only top quality examples of their breed - either in the show-ring or in breed-suitable training competitions - and with all the "genetic health" certificates relevant to that breed should be keep fertile.

The only issue is the AGE at which it is SAFE to neuter. It must NOT be done before his gonads/testes or her ovaries have sent the hormonal signal to the growth plates in the bones (especially the complicated bones of the joints between parts of the limbs) to ALL stop adding length at the same time. Pooches (dogs or bìtches) that are neutered BEFORE that signal has been received & obeyed are at VERY high risk of having ill-fitting wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, ankles resulting in arthritis then dysplasia.

You haven't told us ANYTHING about your dog - AGE, BREED, PEDIGREE - so I cannot state when your pet will be mature enough to neuter, just the 3 general categories of dogs;

☆1: Toy breeds (Chihuahua, Pekingese, etc): 11+ months.

☆2: Medium breeds (most terriers, plus herding or hunting dogs): 18 to 24 months.

☆3: Giant breeds (such as Great Danes & St.Bernards): 24 to 36 months.

• "Should I argue them? Is there no way out of this? "

You haven't supplied enough FACTUAL INFORMATION from which WE can answer those questions. You haven't even told us which NATION you live in - so DON'T expect us to know what the LAWS are in YOUR district!

You'll need to take all the EVIDENCE you have (contracts, e-mails, whatever) to a solicitor who specialises in disagreements about dogs.

I have 3 times taken a person to the Small Claims Court. Won the first (took another year before the Court sent the bailiffs in to possess & sell property to cover the cost of the penalty). Forgave the second (3 days before the Hearing her boyfriend took her 2 daughters for a ride and all 3 were killed in a crash, leaving her alone again) on the basis of her promising to not own another dog before she had a securely fenced property. Lost the third because of a technicality I wasn't aware of (lawyers aren't allowed in the Small Claims Courts, although I could have consulted a lawyer before initiating the charge).

Assuming that you regard mine as the most valid and helpful answer either already, or after you have answered in detail my 4 questions marked with a 💥 and seen my response to THAT information  (I usually respond within 24 hours, occasionally needing 2 days), please remember to award me the "Favorite Answer" points.

👵🤶[Verulam]🤶👵:

Your attitudes don't surpise me. Nor does the LAZY reading of yourself and FAR too many others in Y!A.

But don't expect me to applaud or share those attitudes.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

if you wished to purchase a pup without restrictions as to removal of body parts as castration or spaying you most certainly should have made this clear to the breeder before the purchase.....what seems to have happened in your situation is that you agreed to purchase a pup, possibly a very nice one, but without FULL registration rights.....and the breeder has refused to grant you this right......you have no legal right to full registration, this is the breeders prerogative.......and now for even an AKC limited registration, your dog must be castrated....

since you are searching for ways to avoid this surgery you should know there are none and that the breeder has the option of taking you to court if you do not comply with your purchase agreement..... I would suggest you consider the additional payment and become the sole owner of the whole dog, body parts and all.......remember, the breeder could take you to court concerning this matter and many do.

• *****

Well, DID you sign a pet contract requiring you to neuter him? If you did, then yes, they can ask for whatever they want to modify the terms of the contract. But a good breeder WOULDN'T modify the terms of the contract for any amount of money as, if they sold the puppy on a pet only contract, he ISN'T breeding quality. 

Check the contract you signed to get the dog.  Read every word.  If there was no contract, you can tell them NO.  This is backassward.  They should be paying you a stud fee, read that contract if there is one.  Other wise NO.

Do you have a copy of the contract?   Unless you signed a contract that specifies that you agree to neuter the dog, then she doesnt have any legal recourse.

If you signed NO contract, then tell her to shove off.   There isnt any delegation over "breeding rights" if she didnt have you sign a contract at point of sale.

• Rick B

No idea.  Look at your contract and see what it says.  In the future, adopt or rescue, don't buy a dog from a breeder.  And you need to get your dog neutered.  Be responsible.