Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 1 month ago

Was Bobby Charlton the best English player ever or do you think Booby Moore or Gascoigne were better?

• CMD

None of them.

Gordon Banks is the correct answer.

• August

Charlton was an intelligent player who could foresee openings and scoring opportunities but for me,it has to be Gascoigne. Gazza travelled a bit via Newcastle,Spurs,Lazio and Rangers and that would have given him the edge over BC He was a game changer in the Euro 96 and that goal v Scotland was a real beauty.

Shame about his demons but we have not seen anyone quite like Gazza-what a star he was 

• Adam

I'll leave Moore out of this as he was a completely different position to Charlton and Gazza. This is a difficult one. In terms of natural talent and pure ability, Gascoigne for me was the better player. However football is not all about talent. It's how you use it. Take Ronaldinho, give him Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi's work ethic and dedication off the pitch, Ronaldinho would have been the greatest of all time bar none.

For me, Bobby Charlton did more with their talent than Paul Gascoigne and achieved more than Gazza. So for me over the course of his career, Charlton was the better player but Gazza was more talented if you get what I'm trying to say.

As for Bobby Moore. Unlike both Charlton and Gazza, Moore is a contender for being the best of all time in his position. Alongside the likes of Beckenbauer, Baresi, Maldini etc. So while you cannot compare directly, Moore is one of 2 English players you can talk about as being the best of all time in their position (the other being Gordon Banks)