Why do my old tattoo itch so bad ?

I have two tattoos one on my shoulder and one on my back. I had them both for almost a year now.  For some reason when I get in the shower and water touch it it itch extremely bad. It’s weird because if I get in a pool or something it doesn’t bother me. I also can feel my lines of my tattoos. I’ve been told my tattoo is extremely dry when I never had problems with my skin being dry. I also been told that my tattoo artist went to deep with the ink. When I contact my artist he told me to use aquaphor and it would smooth it. What should I do and how can I stop the bad itching and stinging. 

For some reason when I get in the shower and water touch it it itch extremely bad. It’s weird because if I get in a pool or something it doesn’t bother me

• Laura

Its most likely dry skin.  You should use lotion or aquaphor on your skin daily.  Not just on your tattoo, on all of your skin. 

The lines of the tattoo are scarred, they will never be fully flat or smooth.  This is because of your artist tattooing you too deep, and can't be undone. 

I got a tattoo of the tiger king as a large chest piece.

• Bort

When you get a tattoo needles pierce your skin. The needles piercing your skin cause puncture wounds. Sometimes the skin actually rips, which causes scaring. And sometimes it's possible for a tattoo to become infected long after it's gotten. If some of the lines are raised, you can feel the lines, that's because the lines have caused a scar. You're feeling the scar tissue. 

Do follow what the artist suggested but you also might want to try using a topical anti-inflamitory and anti-infection creame. I wouldn't use all 3 at the same time. Maybe use the aquaphor in the morning, anti-inflamitory (anti-itch) before and after your showers, and anti-bacterial or anti-infection at night. 

Typically when a wound itches that means it's finally starting to fully heal. Even though you got the tattoos a year ago you might still have scaring that's trying to heal and that's why it itches? If they're in places where you can't ask a friend to look at them with a magnifying glass to check for open pores, redness (infection), or damage. It's possible you might have scrapped some skin off that you can't see and it's healing and that's why it's itching. A scrape isn't guaranteed to damage the tattoo's quality. I'm a mechanic. I have tattoos on my forearm's where I get wacked and cut and scraped and other booboos all of the time and my tats are fine. 

Make sure they're not infected. If there's redness or signs of irritation see a dermatologist. 

put eczema cream on that section and see if the itch goes away immediately, then that will indicate that its extremely dry, if it still continues to itch then its an infection and you should go see a dermatologist to get antibacterial cream for your skin

Yes - too deep and the ink toxins are attacking . . . not much you can do other than excising it with surgery.