Can I drive alone with a driving certificate?

I live in Michigan and I just passed my drivers test. The driving examiner gave me my driving certificate which gives proof that I passed my drivers test. Secretary of State is only open for appointments and I can’t get in there to get my actual license until the end of August. Can I drive alone with just my driving certificate? If I get pulled over it’s not like I’m driving without a license, I passed the test but I don’t physically have a license with me. Thanks in advance for the help!

Sure. But, if you're caught the car will be impounded, the insurance cancelled, a court date & fines will be added. Plus, you won't be able to get a license for 3 years.

• Edna

What's a "driving certificate"?  Are you saying that you've taken and passed the Michigan DMV Written and Driving tests, and afterward the DMV examiner issued you some sort of certificate?  If so, that's your temporary (but legal) license, for you to use until the State DMV can print and laminate your permanent license. You don't have to "get in" in order to obtain it. The DMV will mail your permanent license to you. You'll usually receive it in the mail within one month. Regardless of how long it takes receive the permanent license in the mail, the temporary "certificate" is your valid driver's license.  

• May

I think you will be ok but to be sure, ask the Michigan Secretary Of State

If you read the "Driver's Training Manual" you would know this because the answer is there.

There are 2 parts to the driving test. 1 The written. Which is 100 questions

. (it has been awhile since I wrote it so did not memorize how many questions there were).  You  have to do that FIRST & PASS to get a driving PERMIT. (meaning you are allowed to sit behind the steering wheel and operate the vehicle on Public roads PROVIDED SOMEONE WITH A FULL DRIVER'S LICENSE SITS BESIDE YOU EVERY TIME.) otherwise you are illegal. (so dad or mom(if she drives) sits beside you once you are driving on the road.

It is ALL IN YOUR DRIVER'S TRAINING MANUAL. which you obviously still need to read.

Otherwise you are illegal. Cops will throw you in the can so fast your head will spin.  You also are uninsured. So expect to pay $$a fine. And the car has to be towed to IMPOUND (or more $$) And then towed home if no one comes to drive it home...like Dad.

• Ron

You are **** OUT OF LUCK

Let's work through this together.  You have proof that you passed your drivers test.  You don't have a license.  The requires a LICENSE.  You have a CERTIFICATE.  Are a CERTIFICATE and a LICENSE the same thing?  No.

You not only don't have a license with you, YOU DON'T HAVE A LICENSE.  It is exactly like you are driving without a license.

Are you sure you passed the written test?

If this question isn't foolish enough, apparently you and your sister think alike:  "Getting into a car accident while driving without a license?   My sister got into a non serious car accident. I don’t think anybody was injured but she was driving her friends car and dosent have a license. We live in Michigan. What are some things that could happen? Will she not be able to get a license until she’s 21 or is it a misdemeanor? Will she get jail time? Please help :)"

"If I get pulled over it’s not like I’m driving without a license".  You do not have one!  You cannot drive.

No you can't    

Nope.  A license is a license.  A certificate is not a license.  If you get caught, you would be charged with driving without a license, and the penalty would be not only money, but chances are they would not permit you to get a license until you are 18. 

NO, YOU CANNOT. The skills test certificate is not a license.  You must take your skills test certificate to a Secretary of State office before it expires.  The examiner put that expiration date on the certificate. If you were to get caught driving alone with it, the test would be revoked along with your driving privileges until you turn 18. If you get into an accident, the insurance will not cover you or the car.

Source(s): Michigan Driving Skills Study Guide