Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

If a cat sleeps on your lap does that mean it loves you or is it just because they like a warm place to sleep on?

• polly
    Favorite Answer

It means it loves you.

A cat that doesn't trust you will never let itself become so vulnerable as to fall asleep on your lap unless it loves you, regardless of how warm your lap is.

One has nothing to do with the other. My kitty often says he adores me. His eyes tell me that. He's never attempted to lay on my lap. Instead he lays next to me & lets me play with his fur. He comes to me when I call him.

sane thing to a cat ....................................

It could possibly be both.

If a cat likes someone, then they obviously will want to spend time with them. For example, a male cat who my family used to own (who has died now due to old age) used to lie in my lap and also in my mum's lap quite a lot, because he was close to us both.

If someone's lap is warm, or if there's a heat source nearby, for example if someone is using a laptop, or has a heating pad or hot water bottle to relieve pain, then it could also be that too.

Well I'm pretty sure that if a cat didn't like or trust you then it wouldn't dream of sleeping on your lap. So I like to think that a cat does in fact love you if it sleeps on your lap.

It means that it wants a warm place to sleep with someone who makes them feel secure.

It means you have a lap cat. Some cats will sleep on the lap of a stranger who comes to visit their owners. It means the cat has learned to trust and like humans in general.

• Ocimom

Probably both.  The cat trusts and loves you when it sleeps in your lap :)

• gerald

They trust you if they do that punching with their paws you are the mother , its instinct and feeding as kittens thats as close to love as it gets , they are are not pets you do not own them they own you and can leave at will

Could be both, but they’re huge opportunists