What is the term when when something like graffiti, or trash is present in an environment it's more likely to occur?

Any information would be extremely helpful or if its been in studies in the past.

Recently, my small town went from a place to absolutely minimal to graffiti then a few weekends pass and some graffiti got on some areas and shortly after the whole town exploded with graffiti as if the presence of previous graffiti tags welcomed others to join in. My friend told me about this phenomenon previously but I don't remember what it's called, he also mentioned that if one were to cover it immediately then it would deter other graffiti marks from happening again.

Please and thank you in advance!

Apparently it also applies to trash.

Favorite Answer

Actually it's called the broken window theory. The broken windows theory is a criminological theory that states that visible signs of crime, anti-social behavior, and civil disorder create an urban environment that encourages further crime and disorder, including serious crimes.