Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 3 weeks ago

In Karate can you just buy a black belt on Ebay? Or do you legally have to earn the belt?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Steel
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

"Legally"? Ha!

Anybody can buy anything they want that is offered on eBay, Karate belt ranks included. The thing is, here in the United States (I'm not sure where you're from), there is no such governing body that oversees martial arts schools, teachers, structure, what is required at each rank, etc. ANYBODY WITH THE CAPITAL TO BACK UP THEIR BUSINESS CAN OPEN A MARTIAL ARTS SCHOOL REGARDLESS OF EXPERIENCE! (not to yell - I just want to drive that point home) That means feasibly, if you are a good salesman, you can buy a black belt on eBay, open a school if you have the financial backing, and begin teaching. There is absolutely nothing illegal about it - unethical perhaps, but certainly not illegal. Of course, people who do this sort of thing are usually found out in time, but you can look up plenty of shady people online who tout mystic powers, sketchy pasts, and all-around sub-par techniques who will have schools full of students.

But I digress... You CAN just buy a black belt on eBay. It won't have any meaning behind it, but you can certainly do it.

• 3 days ago

If you buy a black belt that you didn't earn, then some dumb redneck will yell: "Stolen Valor!" at you.

• 2 weeks ago

Black belts are so 80's look. I would get one with neon or other loud colors.

Source(s): life
  • Bill
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Of course you can, but for it to mean anything you have to earn it. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

you can buy one from e bay but you will get the s***t kicked out of you by a beginner white belt. They have to be earned the hard way and money is not the hard way

• 3 weeks ago

Yes you can just buy them but it doesn't make you gain fighting powers unfortunately.

• 3 weeks ago

You need to learn it to get actual belt...you can buy one too but that's meaningless because Belt doesn't give you power. Belt is just like symbol of the power 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.