Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRap and Hip-Hop · 1 month ago

Can I legally record and post myself freestyling over an instrumental as long as I give the original artist credit? ?

I've been freestyling a lot lately and I want to record a video of myself freestyling and post it on social media. Is this ok as long as I give the original artist credit for the instrumental? 

I think you can if you're not making money from it. Check the copyright laws.

• Mr.412

Yes you can do that. It’s fair use.

You can't legally post music that you don't own the copyright to unless you have permission to use it or it's in the public domain. It makes no difference whether you just post the recording, alter it in some way or play over the top of it (which is what I think you intend doing).

Naming the person whose work you have “stolen” makes no difference - would it be okay for me to steal and use your phone so long as I made it plain that it was your phone? In any case, the artist is very unlikely to be the copyright holder of both the music and the recording. 

• Jake

that's how you avoid copyright

yes sfgsfd sfdgsf sdfgsd sdfg sfd