Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 4 weeks ago

Why do fast food restaurants and convenience stores pay managers so little?

Their jobs already pay like ****. Now you want some college kid to run the entire joint for an extra $3/hr? Not worth it!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Because they can, that's why.  

If you're hiring someone to perform a triple bypass on your heart, you're going to want the most qualified individual you can find to do it.  Not everyone can do that kind of surgery, in fact very few people can do it, so those who do are worth a lot of money.

Managing a fast food outlet or convenience store, however, doesn't require much training and qualification.  It's a job literally anyone can do.  If a manager at one of those locations quits today, they can find a suitable replacement by tomorrow at the latest.  Jobs that anyone can do aren't worth a lot.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Because your labor in this category is unskilled and therefore alienable at a lower rate.  I'm sorry but if I own a business selling hamburgers or soda and bag of chips, I can't justify an $80K/year salary for basic use of your prefrontal cortex.  If you want more money, hone a skill that isn't readily available by the first 9 out of 10 people you meet on the street. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Regular restaurants pay low wages too. The service industry has a reputation for low wages, changing schedules, and no benefits.

• 4 weeks ago

Managers don't get paid by the hour - - they get a monthly salary for unlimited hours

If you do the math it usually ends up being less than minimum wage

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.