Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Do atheists support the state interfering with church business?

Since many atheists advocate separation of church and state.

Yes, I do support that if you're referring to states telling churches to close during the current crises. Public health is way more important than religious bullshit.

• gillie

If the church in question was kidnapping and killing people for its rituals, the state SHOULD interfere for the sake of public safety.  Sometimes there is a public interest that overrides the freedom of some church to do whatever it wants.

i agree, but i also know separation of church and state meant originally that government and congress has no right to interfere with christian faith.

Yes, most feel churces should be taxed, in violarion of the principles of the founders 

It would depend on what form the “interference” took and what was being “interfered” with. In the UK “the State” took the decision to close churches (along with just about everything else) during “lockdown”. This was the right decision and I was in favour of it. I think the state should “interfere” wherever laws, rules or regulations are being broken.

In my country, the UK, the church and the state ARE separate, as they are in most western countries.

Yeah, I'm all for churches NOT being tax-payer funded/supported.

All religions should pay property tax.

~

Abe Lincoln wouldn't add Utah as a state unless they agreed to end polygamy.  As far as I know, there is no Federal law outlawing polygamy.  State and Federal authorities could interfere in churches that cause harm (like the standoff at Waco--except that it was Federal authorities that accidentally tipped over kerosene lamps that burned them alive (kids and all).

Only when a church or religion tramples upon the rights of others.

• EddieJ

Of course.  Churches cannot be allowed to put their knees on the necks of the congregants.

Like everyone else, churches have to obey laws.

Deal with it.