When getting hired, should I bring up that I can’t work certain hours due to religion?

I’m applying for a hostess position and my interview is coming up, I wanted to know if it is reasonable to say that I’m looking for 3 days a week and around 12-15 hours weekly as well as addressing that Fridays past 5:00 I will not be able to work due to religious obligations? I know workplaces aren’t supposed to discriminate when it comes to religion, but I wasn’t sure if it’s wise to bring it up. I just want to get it out of the way ahead of time so there’s transparency about my availability. I also start school in another month and want to make it clear that while I’m flexible now on what days I can work, in another month my schedule might have to change. How do I say all these things without sounding difficult? 

Favorite Answer

Hi, I think you should be honest . Employer should know  too. For them to decide what should be the best thing to do if they wanted to hire you. If you don't tell them , it will be a problem later on . Well telling the truth is not difficult at all since it is the truth, telling lies is much so difficult to do . Hope this answer helps. Good luck to your job. Hope it works for you.

• L

Mention this at the interview because if you don't and have to take time off at work - you will get fired.

No point in not being honest.

You can't work Fridays after five, and I'm guessing, not Saturday BEFORE five? So Fridays and Saturdays are out. The restaurant may be closed Mondays, (many used to be, more are now). So you can work Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, the slowest days of the week. 

I'd agree that maybe a restaurant isn't for you.

• Eva

I'm assuming you're applying for a job at a restaurant.  Since Friday & Saturday evenings are their busiest times, you're unlikely to get this position. Flexibility is key for restaurants. You do need to be up front with it though, because they would be very unhappy if they gave you the job and then you started telling them all the times you can't work.

• If they ask you about your availability (or if you have to fill it out on an application) just be honest with them. Also tell them when you're going back to school. Part time jobs are usually  flexible, but they do like people that can work evenings and weekends. 

If / when you start working, you may have to remind your boss about your availability.

Friday nights are the busiest time for restaurants. If you can't work then, they don't need you.

of course u should tell it upfront. because how re u going to deal with that later when they schedule u to work after 5 on saturday? u don't show up they fire u and bye bye unemployment

Tell them you can only work 3 hours on Sundays and your religion dictates you must be paid $2,100 per hour.

You can't say it without sounding difficult.

Saying I want 12-15 hours a week, already makes you sounds difficult.

There is a different between a company discriminating against you because of religion and a company not hiring you because you are unavailable when they need you to work.

I don't think the restaurant industry is for you.