Can I pay what I can afford to Child Support until I get a job without filling a mothion to have payments reduced?

I lost my job and can’t afford to pay the full $73 per week, could I just pay $20 a month until I find new employment? As long as I pay something will that stop me from going to jail or further action being taken towards me????

You might be able to get away with that temporarily but all the shortage between what you owe and what you pay will be accumulated into a debt that you can be sued for it you don't pay it in a reasonable time frame.

• Foofa

If you're currently not in arrears you could probably skate by temporarily with less than the agreed amount. These arrears would continue to mount and in some cases gather interest so you'd eventually owe more. The average amount in arrears one would see prison time for is around 10K, but this does vary by state. Unless you have some prospects for a new job in the near future it makes sense to just file the motion and have the support reduced. 

You do realize that you'll still have to pay the full amount owed, don't you?  File a "child support payment modification" with the court.

Action will be taken towards you. Child support is as important as if the children lived with you. It is more important than anything else in your life. Society has decided that your children are more important than you. If you have to starve so that the children can live, that is what society wants. Your say-so that you can't afford the payments means nothing. You have to PROVE that you can't afford them, and that you are ACTIVELY looking for income sources. If you don't hustle hard, if you don't look like you're hungry for food and a job, if you don't have several real job applications every week, then the government isn't going to believe you.

Of course, we prefer that you don't starve. Because we want you to continue to support your children, and you can't do that if you are dead.

NO. To be more precise, they will continue enforcement at the level currently ordered up to the date you file for modification, even if a modification is granted.

• xyzzy

It depends on the state you live in, but in most cases court ordered child support is the first thing you have to pay.

You owe the full amount until you get an Order for another amount.  What you don't pay adds up as back child support.  Only an Order can change the monetary amount.

No, paying "something" only means you owe less in back child support, and in MY State, yes, you can be arrested, lose your driver's license, go to jail.

You will owe the arrears of course.  What the consequences are depends on where you are.  

Contact the welfare folks.

Being sent to jail is total bull s h i t!