Will joining the RAF come to an advantage to achieving the end goal of being a commercial/ airline Pilot?

I am seventeen, doing my A-levels, I really want to become an airline pilot, but it is way too expensive to train directly into that field. So, I am going to do my time in the RAF as a pilot and wondering if that could become an advantage to becoming an Airline pilot.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

If you are one of the few to be selected for pilot training (and many are not) and succeed the RAF will train you to fly for their purposes. In the end, if you do happen to be successful, you will be required to serve for a number of years.  Even after that, the RAF do not give you a civilian licence, all you get is permission to fly their military aircraft according to their requirements.  You'd still need to train for and pass the requirements for a civilian licence when you leave the service..

Friend of mine was a long-serving Hercules pilot and when he came out he had to start the civilian licencing process.  His many hours gave him the physical skills, knowledge and ability and went towards the licence requirements but he still had to pass the exams and tests.

It's not a short-cut.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Surely it would!

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

A snowball has a better chance of surviving five minutes in a blast Furness than you have of Joining the R.A.F let alone becoming a pilot of a military aircraft.

R.A.F. recruiting are extremely good at weeding out Free Loaders.

Do Not fall in to the trap of thinking you can use them to pay for your Commercial pilot training,

Her Majesties Government expect more than their due pound of flesh for the hundreds of thousands they might spend on your training.

But are extremely unlikely to bother with you.

• 3 weeks ago

Selection for pilot training in the RAF has a very high wash out. Many people

fail the medical and never make it to pilot training.  Many more do not complete

training. If you think being an RAF pilot will be a short cut to flying for an airline

your not done your research.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

So you are going to do your time in the RAF as a pilot............ Unless you have been accepted in pilot training already that is a pretty cocky comment.   You may not even pass the physical to start the training,  let alone be accepted into the program.   Sure,  if you get into the RAF and if you get into pilot training and IF you pass and IF you serve out your tour as a pilot and do not end up a casualty then it will definitely help you be an airline pilot.   Lots of IF's in there. 

• 4 weeks ago

My friend was a fighter pilot for the US Navy at 20, and was good enough to land on a carrier deck 76 times during a war.  When he tried to be hired as a commercial pilot, he was rejected.  It was not because of his skill.  It was because of his appearance.  That shows there is no guaranteed path to becoming an airline pilot. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

If you managed to actually become an RAF pilot the answer is yes, but the odds of you making it through the selection process aren't much better than the odds you have of winning the Irish Sweepstakes. 

• Joseph
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The one and ONLY reason you should consider joining the RAF is to serve your country, not to get the MoD pay for your flight training only to see you skip to the airlines at the first opportunity.  If they even suspect that this is your intention, you will be lucky to fly a broom for the rest of your enlistment.

Some airlines do make their own pilots.  Research which airlines have the ab-inito training programs and apply.  Be warned, though, the competition for each slot is intense.  It will also be sometime before airlines will start hiring pilots again.  

• martin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Almost all airline pilots get their training in the military because private training is too expensive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.