Why do movie sequels tend to get worse as time goes on?

'Pirates of the Caribbean' for example.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Because they've run out of ideas.  The story has already been told.  Also, people are sheeple, and the movie industry knows this.  Because the movie is a certain title or part of a franchise, well that means it MUST be good, right?  No need to put any effort into it, people will go see it because of the name. 

• User
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

They're "riding the wave of success"

and simply don't put as much effort into it as they did on the first

which, typically, is done with a sort of desperate attempt to produce a successful piece of work.

Once you've "made it"

you just don't have to try so hard

and so

many people DON'T try so hard.

It's not just movies. Book series and TV series typically display the same defect.

There are, of course, exceptions.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Oh yeah that's true! That's because most sequels are done to take advantage of the sucess of the original film. So the purpose right off the bat is just to make money, not to make something of artistic value and then make money, that leads to bad decisions that leads to poor storytelling, miscasting, etc.

Of course there's PLENTY of exceptions. The Dark Knigt is a sequel and one of thee best movies ever made. I personally enjoy just a few sequels such as, u guess it, Pirates of The Caribbean 2! Aaaaand Psycho 2. I love that movie! It's better than Psycho (1960), i feel like Psycho is a masterpiece for sure! But i personally think it's seen as a masterpiece largely cause of the impact it had, it changed the game for the suspense and the psychological thriller genre. Now, Psycho 2 made me cry! :D it is amazing, what a perfect sequel.. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No, too much expected out of it then it look like falling short, If you compare it with other movies it far better. Yes, the young Jack in last sequel look stupid.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Yes and here's why. Besides the fact that studios now only care about profit, most sequels are not written until after the original is released.  The good sequels have already been conceptualized and planned before they were filmed. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.