Do we ever see Jon reach the wall in the books?

I was reading and one minute he’s at camp and the next he’s practicing fighting. I don’t know if I missed a chapter or it’s just like that. It just felt weird, why the author chose to do it this way if he did. So I am unsure if I am missing something. 

Favorite Answer

As you've seen, Martin writes fat. My guess is that some editor, literally worried the publisher could not bind a book as long as his manuscript, was seeking things to cut, and Jon arrived at The Wall in a way that was not spectacular. He just got there, got off his garron, and walked in.

So they cut to a scene where he's there, and the reader will presume, correctly, that he's arrived.

This happens all the time in books. The doorbell rings, and Jack opens the door. The author doesn't show him sitting up, rising from the sofa, crossing the room, or putting his hand on the knob. The reader assumes these things.

Who is "Jon" and what wall are you talking about? The "wall" that looms largest in my consciousness is the Berlin Wall, that came down in 1989. And the "Jon" I know best in a novel is in the "Earth's Children" series by Jean Auel.

Please don't ever assume that everyone on this international, world-wide site, is always on the same cultural page as you.

What book are you referring to dumbdumb? There are many characters named Jon scattered throughout literature. FAIL. Try again. 

We sure do, malc. What I think's happened is you've got hold of a copy of the first edition, yes, the one that didn't have the scene where Jon reaches the wall. My advice is go visit the publishers and beat the staff senseless with a stick. It's the only language they understand. You know what to do.