Can you be recharged for a conviction ? ?

There was a drink driving collision.. at the scene she said there were no injuries but two weeks later she now filed a claim to my insurance for a soft tissue injury claim. Could the police change my charge now? I had initially been charged for just drink driving and my court date is due in 2 weeks.. my question is could the charges change? The country is uk by the way

8 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    Unless you have appeared in court and either been convicted or acquitted, criminal charges can be amended.

    That said, I don't see where the criminal charges would be any different.

    The CIVIL liability for any injuries is separate from the criminal case.

  • 1 month ago

    They can always changed.

  • 1 month ago

    No.  You are being charged criminally. Her issues are for civil court (if insurance doesn't cover everything).

    And that is NOT what you asked. There is no conviction until you've been convicted. And once you are convicted (or enter a guilty plea), that's it - for the criminal case.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    1 - Yes, the charge can be upgraded during a specific time frame which is well over a year;

    2 - It's DRUNK driving, driving while DRUNK; it is not DRINK driving, driving while DRINKING;

    3 - I would NOT go to the hearing with legal counsel.

    It is NOT unusual for soft tissue injuries to become evident some time following an accident.  Sometimes it's a scam.  Sometimes it's legitimate.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    You can be charged for up to three and a half years if somebody got hurt as a result of the collision and they don't charge you with it at first because they don't know yes they have three and a half years to charge you with it

  • martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    The prosecutors should have the power to change the charges, but it doesn't mean that they will.

  • 1 month ago

    Since you have not been convicted of anything, yes the DA can amend the charges to include the bodily injury. The police and the DA do not convict you, the court does. Until there is a trial, double jeopardy does not come in to play.

  • 1 month ago

    Not sure, but I do know for a fact that soft tissue damage may take a while to manifest after an accident.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.