Damien
Damien asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 2 months ago

Why do people say business degree is useless because u don't need a business degree to open a business?

Lol is that why graduates in higher paid degrees think people do business degrees? So that they can open their own business?No i did a business degree so that i can get a job in business related jobs. now these same people will say business degree is pointless unless u major in accounting, economics, etc.If i wanted to do accounting, id do a accounting degree, not a business degree majoring in accounting. I think these people aren't aware there are lot of other "business" related jobs other than accounting and economics. Have you heard of purchasing, logistics, inventory control, transportation, etc ,these are all "business related" jobs and require a "business degree", even a generic business administration degree will do. And no a business degree is not easy , only easy compared to electrical engineering.those accounting,economics and statistics courses are just awful I've done my rant. I think people whine cause the business degree pays only 40,000 instead of 70,000, that's it right?

Going to college for business was absolutely worth it. It made me way smarter and open to the world in a different way.

• Isabel

No, an MBA is actually very useful.  You won’t have significant success until you work on your communication skills, so I’d really focus on undergraduate general ed, first.

You're nearly illiterate. How could you possibly earn a degree?

I'm not sure if you're just uneducated or lazy or you're just very low intelligence. In any case, you're doomed if you think you're going to succeed in business.

If u tk pride n ur self yud b mr careful abt how you prsnt ur self.

Bad grammar, misspellings, lazy English. I couldn't even get through your question to see what point you're making.

Nope..you do not need a business degree to open a business.  Any idiot with $100,000 and good credit can open a business doing any thing they want.  But then..without the business degree they will need to hire managers, tax specialists, inventory specialists and a host of other people to do jobs they could do themselves IF they had taken the business degree.

And they will probably make so many mistakes that they will go out of business in 3 years.

The only people who would say that is Art majors.

Actually advanced business degrees can be just as demanding from a STEM point of view as a EE or physics degree.  

For example, waiting line analysis is heavily into probability and statistics and you'll find this with those "purchasing, logistics, inventory control, transportation" applications you listed.  Or the Leontief economic model is defined by advanced matrix algebra and used by business economists. [See source.]

As to pay...those who get into management of technical programs typically make more than the technicians do.  And things like organizational design and group psychology are big helps in proper management techniques.  [Even though I have technical degrees (e.g., engineering and physics) I quickly went into project and program management, where things were more interesting and paid bigger bucks.]

Source(s): Wassily Leontief Economist Wassily Wassilyevich Leontief, was a Russian-American economist known for his research on input-output analysis and how changes in one economic sector may affect other sectors. [Wikipedia]

I went for 3 years before dropping out for a low paying job but one I was sure I could move up at. (And I did) The best part of the entire college experience was growing up and maturing for 3 years. But I lived at home so I got less of it than those who went away. I took 2 accounting classes and a finance class and they helped along with common sense to do my do my job and later my business.

My big thing was not to go in debt because I was paying my own way.  Also it helped me get my english up a little because it was poor. (A.D.D. and disinterest during high school)