Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Do I have an eating disorder?

I’m 15, 5’1 and 93 lbs and I aim to eat a net of 1,100 calories a day. I do a lot of running ( about  30 miles a week ) and I add whatever my apple watch says I burned onto my daily 1,100 calories.  I am terrified of gaining weight and occasionally have binge eating episodes once a week. I want to be able to stop fearing this and to be able to exercise with the intention of getting strong, not losing weight. Is there something wrong with me? Should I tell someone or is this normal?

4 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    You should tell someone and get help.  You are underweight.  The red flags in your post are your irrational fear of gaining weight, your obsession about tracking calories, and your bingeing.  

    It is fine to want to be healthy and fit, but not to obsess, deny yourself adequate nutrition, or to binge. These behaviors can have a serious negative impact on your body and your brain because you are still developing. Please, please, please get help before things get worse. 

  • 1 month ago

    If you don't you sound as though you are well on your way to developing one. You should seek treatment right away from a mental health professional. What you are currently doing is going to potentially cause irreparable damage to your body in the long term.

  • Petter
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Why do you only eat 1 100 calories a day? That's the big question. If you run 30 miles a week, you should probably eat close to 3 000-4 000 calories a day. It might be working for now, but it will not work in the long run...

  • Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Yes, you are suffering from disordered eating.  Your calorie intake is much too low, your "terror" of weight gain is abnormal, and your binge eating is also evidence of a problem.

    Why would you think any of this was "normal"?  Mentally-healthy people who are already thin do not eat so little or binge eat. The running alone wouldn't concern me, but added to everything else, it, too, indicates an eating disorder.You need to see a therapist who specializes in such disorders.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.