Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

Are kittens normally so lazy?

Iv recently bought a 8 week old kitten its my first cat iv owned we absolutely love her, more than anything im probably just worrying for no reason. 

I know shes small but she seems to be so slow moving and if shes asleep and just wake up and i call her she just looks at me wont move.

Everybodys told me thats just cat’s personalitys but id just want to double check. 

Thank you :)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

If that's her regular personality, it's fine. Cats are supposed to be sleepy, especially kittens because they're growing and they don't have as much energy

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Normal 8 week old kittens are full of energy.  This kitten is sick - take it to a vet quickly.  It may have multiple things wrong.  First, the kitten is too young to be taken from mom cat.  Its not fully weaned and needs more time with siblings and mom.  Likely the kitten has worms and may have other things wrong being weak.

• 3 weeks ago

This is totally normal for an 8 an week old kitten. Domestic cats spend 80% of their lives sleeping or snoozing. One kitten doesn't have another kitten to tussle with or play zoomies with. Cats are also nocturnal creatures. 

Is the kitten already neutered? If you want to have it declawed, that should be done as soon as possible. 8 weeks old is NOT too young for either procedure. 

• 3 weeks ago

Kittens have 2 settings- asleep and CRAZY. Yes, all normal for a kitten 8 weeks old to sleep and sleep and sleep. Lethargy and being sleepy are not the same thing, though. Being lethargic means that during waking hours, they seem to have zero energy and will usually not engage in play or be really active. 

Also, being a tiny baby and trying to figure out the world, any time spent being up and active can put her right back to sleep. She's still in the clumsy, hasn't gotten used to what her legs are for phase. By about 12 weeks, they have better motor skills. She's also taking in her new surroundings and is probably still exhausted by all the change. Every kitten I have had took a few days to a week to sort themselves out, and once they did, there was no stopping them. 3-4 hours of nonstop play, zoomies, going nuts, then fall asleep where they stood and wouldn't wake up for 4-5 hours. 

Leave her be and let her rest. Stop waking her up and stop calling to her. Is she eating, pooping, peeing, drinking? If she is, you don't have much to worry about.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Cats are predators in the wild and predators are not successful when hunting most of the time. Therefore they have no idea when their next meal may come. So they try to conserve energy as much as possible when they are not hunting. You will find them catnapping most of the time as a result. If you want your kitty to come to you, use a rope and move it around. It will come running to chase the rope. Kittens love to play. Even adult cats like to play. You can condition your cat to come to you by making a sound and at the same time use a rope to play with it. Do it every time, and the kitten will come when you make that sound. But make sure you play with it after making that sound because otherwise it won't come to you after you have cried wolf too often. .

• 3 weeks ago

Some cats sleep 20 hours a day. 

Whist a kitten can be playful, like all cats it will be on it's terms!

Cats will play and be active when THEY want not to fit in with you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.