Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Boyfriend says he doesn’t understand me ..?

He says I talk too much instead of getting to the point with what we’re talking about. Today he asked me what I was drinking. I was trying to explain to him that it’s not soda but it has the carbonation. And he was like ughhh you’re talking too much you’re confusing me you don’t make sense. It hurt my feelings because he said something similar yesterday. I’ve been shy around him and now I’m trying to ask questions and engage in conversations but with him saying that it makes me want to stop opening up to him and stop talking. I was at his house for about 3 days when he dropped me off I didn’t even say goodbye because I felt sad. I was thinking about not texting him either. Am I probably talking too much or is he being an asshole ? Should I try to speak less ? I don’t know :(

I’m 23 he’s 29

Favorite Answer

He sounds like a bit of an emotional bully especially if he knows you’re starting to feel awkward round him, he may be trying to have control of your emotions like making you confused and upset on purpose. My relationship is getting where I feel I’m tip toeing round trying not to annoy my husband and I’m starting to dislike him a lot lately. 17 years we’ve been together it’s hard to get out at this stage, really think through your options...do you want this forever? Remember life is so short 

• Ricky

Just get to the point 

• Tj

Time to move on from him

I have the same problem with my husband. I'll ask him what his work schedule is for the week and what do I get? "Monday I'm driving up to Sebring with Dave to do an installation. Friday is my deadline for finishing the Picasso project. The XYZ machine has been giving us problems. I'm meeting a new client for lunch Tuesday ..."

I just want something like "I'm off Tuesday afternoon but have to stay until 8 or 9 on Thursday" and not all that freekin' detail! I'll interrupt with an impatient "The question is WHAT IS YOUR WORK SCHEDULE" and he'll say "I was getting to that."   

All the guy wanted was something like "berry flavored unsweetened carbonated soft drink" and you went into lecture mode. He doesn't enjoy the listening anywhere nearly as much as you enjoy the talking. Get your thoughts into order before you start speaking. Skip the details; if he wants further clarification, he will ask for it. 

• joedlh

Unfortunately, it sounds like you found yourself a lunkhead. Sorry to hear. Try using words with fewer syllables. His max probably averages out to two and a half.