English Learner's Question?

Hi. I have a question about the following dialog from Gaslight by Patrick Hamilton.

MRS. MANNINGHAM. The removal of doubt. How could a medicine effect that ?

ROUGH. Ah--that we don't know. The fact remains that it does. Here we are. [Produces what is obviously a bottle of whiskey, and crosses to Left of Center table.] You see, it comes from Scotland. Now, Madam, have you such a thing handy as two glasses or a couple of cups?

MRS. MANNINGHAM. [Crosses to Left end of settee.] Why--are you having some, too?

ROUGH. Oh, yes. I am having some above all things. We could use these cups, if you like.

MRS. MANNINGHAM. No. [She goes to secretary and brings out two glasses and crosses to Right of Center table.] I will get two--

Mrs. Manningham says "I will get two--" but what does she intend to get beside glasses? In this kind of situation what does one usually need? I appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Well, does she actually "get" anything else"? If she does, it ought to be mentioned in the stage directions.

If not, then she must be referring to the two glasses, even though she has already brought them out of the "secretary" (I assume you know that this is a piece of furniture!) It's  possible that she wants to emphasise 'two' because she was surprised earlier that Rough was going to join her in having a drink.

By the way, please note this use of "effect" as a VERB. Mrs M is asking, "How can a medicine CAUSE the removal of doubt?"

It seems clear to me that she is referring to the two glasses.