Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Do you really help the environment by driving a electric car since power plants also pollute?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • fuzzy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Hybrids do help as actual fuel usage is down but comments about battery manufacture is valid (but should improve ) Efficiency of coal fired generation depends on how far from the generator you are. With big increases in solar on roof tops in the city daytime charging is looking good (of course the car is at work then so no benefit for many)

• 1 month ago

It does not help as much as the tree-hugers would like you to think it does.  Making the electric batteries is highly destructive to the environment.  So taking that into consideration with the power that has to be produced to charge them and the environmental help is probably very small.  

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Well you can’t deny city centres would have better air quality but unless the electricity is produced by clean sources , overall it doesn’t do anything for the planet. 

A coal fired power station has about the same efficiency as a modern Diesel engine, add in transmission losses and the EV is slightly worse.

Hybrids are a joke and do nothing for the environment.

• 1 month ago

Increasing amount of power is coming from Wind Farms which do not pollute.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Short answer ... YES. This is not mere opinion. Read and learn: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsmoor/2019/05...

• Anton
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Nope.   Making the lithium batteries makes Electric car produce more carbon dioxide into the air than gas cars.

https://www.industryweek.com/technology-and-iiot/a...

• 1 month ago

Pollution is better controlled at power plants.  Since EV's do not use electricity when slowing down, when stopped, at red lights, and almost none in stop-and-go traffic, the get about 120 miles of distance on the amount of energy in a gallon of gas.  I have been driving  ev's since 2015, and I'm on my second one.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Strict smog tests cleared the air in California.  The air will be much cleaner when electric cars becomes the norm.

• 1 month ago

Not really.  Just a different form of pollution.  By the time one figures drilling for oil, transporting, refining, distributing, then burning in a regular gas or diesel engine, changing lubrication, heat released from radiator, the regular car is a disaster.

An electric car can use wind, solar, hydro, geothermal and nuke generated electricity besides regular natural gas stuff.  No oil or grease is used in running or maintaining (other than tires, wipers) one.  But making the lithium battery, the aluminum and steel and copper in it still pollutes.  At least the seat covers are recycled in mine.

• 1 month ago

it might help to do that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.