Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 3 months ago

Was it fair to lose my scholarship and have a record just for backhanding a total jerk?

This happened in July 2019 and I lost my scholarship. My parents and I only have money for 2 years of college tuition, not the whole 4 years.

I drank too much at the time. My friend's ex bf (let's call him Mike) and I had a beef a couple times but it was only verbal. We hated each other. Anyway that was the only single time I've ever hit someone. We argued and I backhanded him once.

I had no idea he had recorded it all. He reported me, I had to go to court and part of my future is ruined. I still have an assault record, was forced to take anger management classes and lost my scholarship for good. I think he did that to be spiteful. Was that even fair? He didn't even have any bruise at all and it's not like I beat him or something. I only backhanded him once and was super drunk. 

And now you have learned a very important life lesson.........your actions have consequences. Step over that line and you pay the price.

It appears that the excuses that you tried in court didn't work like you had planned.

Welcome to the real world.

Fair? No such thing, really. It was a lousy experience all around but it happened. You can survive it. I worked and put myself through college. Many people do. 

Once is all it takes.  Yes, I think it's fair.  Scholarships come with rules.  You violated one of them.

• g

Because only once and super drunk justify it all ... Sounds like you still don't get it.

Maybe not fair.  But hey, you didn't learn from what happened to Brock Turner.