How would I go about making a smelter from scratch? ?

As if I were stranded in on an island and I wanted to build things out of metal, how would I accomplish this? What material would I build the first smelter out of? Would I use this elementary smelter to smelt iron ore to make a steel smelter that’ll be a lot more efficient to then go ahead and make more steel for other things that would help with surviving alone, making weapons, making housing, etc? 

Favorite Answer

Use fine mud to make fire bricks. Then use bricks to build iron smelter.

By the way, the island must contain iron mine on surface area, otherwise, you have no way to make steel. Coal is a must need, to make iron need high temperature that burning wood alone would not able to make iron !!

if you type this on the search bar it might show you how to do it

you want to use stone to build it, not metal.

visit a primitive smelter for ideas. There is one in Stoneham MA, there are probably others. 

And islands usually don't have any accessible iron ore. You have to dig deep in the right location to get iron ore.