Could we mass produce medieval full plate armor with are technogly if there is a demand for it?

• Jeff D
    Favorite Answer

Sure, and we could crank out Greek Triremes by the thousands too; but nobody wants them (not at any reasonable price, anyway).

Happy to say, all answers are great! Smart. But could I be the only one who would think that as soon as you created full armour, the enemy would create a machine that would zap you with electricity and melt that armour into your body....no? Then, you would be covered, but not too happy or moveable. Or alive. Probably. Just thinking. Eetsa lika that, I find. This side invents a whoozitz and causes trouble, that side invents a whatzitz to defeat the whoozitz, which is usually much more horrilble. Just like scams and cons. Whatever happens, there's always a new scam, as soon as someone invents a thingy, a thief-minded thief invents a way to take it away from you. Cite covid19 scams. I mean. People! This sentence is at least true, always: Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.

• Prince

No, we who once could launch five ships a day from Mobile and won World War Two, who could set satellites in space and send rovers to Mars, cannot produce enough rubbing alcohol and paper towels and toilet paper to stock the shelves, nor enough little fabric masks and the economy has been tanked. We produce nothing anymore. Everything is made in China. GW outsourced all industry and production. The Navy was closed even in San Diego. China had to donate 3.000 ventilators to New York because you don't even make those. You are set at one another's throats, divisive because of the spell of the Beast and God Himself doesn't care because you are chaff and the Beast is doing the Lord's work leading ye to Hell. 

• Isabel

If there was a demand for it, yes, we could mass produce it with our tech.

• sam

We probably could, but I don't see there being a demand for it. Even theatrical productions use plastic or leather pieces painted to look like metal. Metal is too heavy to be practical.

• JuanB

You could.  But Why would you want to?  The demand is for bullet proof vests.  

• Yes but not finished, it would have to be "tailored" to the owner

• Marli

Modern industry and technology could make plate armor that LOOKS medieval but is not the same as real medieval plate armor.

I can sew a "Regency/Empire" period gown with my sewing machine, but it cannot be in all respects like the gowns that Jane Austen wore. Most natural fabrics are expensive compared with modern cloth made even partly with chemical polymers and chemical dyes. Cloth spun, dyed, woven and sized by machine does no have the same look and feel as cloth made by hand.

Same with armor. Metals are not refined using the same methods as in medieval times, nor do our refined metals have the same composition.

Jane's contemporaries sewed gowns entirely by hand, making tiny stitches. I marvel that they could complete a gown in less than a week, but in their letters, they said they did it in a few days, and considered it no miracle.  I  sew by machine all that is not shown on its outside. On close inspection, my gown looks faux by the stitch work.

Same with armor. Armor making was a skilled craft. Court and tournament armor  had to look great and combat armor had to keep the knight alive and intact. Of course the modern car is an intricate product of skilled machines and assemblers, but an armorer fussed over each piece and each process of making the whole suit like a man's bespoke tailor would a suit from cloth. The customer wanted the armor to "feel" comfortable and "move right" with his movements as well as look great.

I'm not certain that plate armour was ever really produced for the masses. If you had a set then it was designed for your body.

We could make it how it was made in medieval times.

We could mass produce it.

Those options are mutually exclusive.

Mass production as we understand it didn't exist at the time.

I saw them do it on the History Channel.  It's doable but very expensive.