Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

I keep getting shocked when I try to plug things in. Can somebody please help me?

Its getting anoying and also scaring me. 

Is it the humidity? Damn hair or damp floor? Damp hands? 

I live in Florida where it's very humid amd hot. Could it be this old house? Or me????

Is this dangerous for my heart? 

Water leak? Bad wires?

• Robert

If the plug is a rewireable type it maybe chipped inside allowing the plug body securing screws to come into contact with the wires inside. Alternatives are installation supply grounding arrangements to be looked into and updated to be a fully grounded system. A clue here is your socket outlets should now have a round hole offset from the other slots. Check that there is a continuous green sheathed wire behind each outlet plate running back to breaker board. Often this wire is just connected to the back box metalwork relying on any conduit run (which maybe discontinuous) to do the grounding job. The latest regulations are now not in favour of this installation method.

• Kate

Have you heard of Electricians? These are qualified people who fix electrical problems. I strongly urge you to call one before you kill yourself by electrocution.

• elhigh

We can't know, because we don't know enough.  It probably isn't static electricity in humid Florida, but really - we CAN'T know.

Is this dangerous for your heart: a bit.  120v can kill you but usually what it does is give you a little jolt.

You may need to have your house grounding checked, and of course if you're getting shocked EVERY time that's really an issue.  That should never happen.  It makes me wonder if you're holding the wrong part of the plug.

Sounds like improper ground 

you need an electrician to sort this out.  is it the one outlet only, but multiple things, or multiple outlets and the one thing?

Usually that happens when there is not enough humidity.

• John

Static electricity and while painful and very annoying won't hurt you. Touch things with the palm of your hand to discharge painlessly

Wear a pair of good-quality, rubber Wellington boots while using electricity. This simple tip could save your life. But to be *really* sure, make sure you switch off at the mains before plugging anything in. Remember - don't mess up.

DO NOT KEEP UR FINGERS IN CONTACT with the metal prongs while trying to plug things

I got a real shock as a child and never repeated the same mistake ever again in my entire life

check to see IF the socket is properly GROUNDED .................