What will happen if I don’t get my car’s oil changed ?

I was supposed to get my oil changed at 160k miles but now my car has 162k miles. What will begin to happen to my car if I don’t get an oil change soon?  

Favorite Answer

When was the last one? 5,000 is no problem. Even 10,000 if it is rare would not be the end of the world, unless you have synthetic oil, then it is fine.

I know a friend, who rarely drives his car last 8 years, does not change oil. The car still runs.

Then you will damage the engine. 

• David

As long as the oil is not low it is not catastrophic but you should get it changed soon.  Where did the 160k number come from?  Some oil change shops still push the old 3000 mile interval but most cars these days are good for 5000 to 10000 or more.  Read your owners manual.  You can find one online.

You need to change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or every 5,000 miles if running synthetic oil. Don't go bu the on board oil change reminder. You also need to check the oil level on the dipstick every 1,000 miles and keep the oil level topped up. Failing to do this will cause timing chain wear and cam advance actuator failure. The piston rings will seize to the pistons causing the motor to burn more oil. People never listen! 

If your car has an oil leak, you could slowly run out of oil until serious damage occurs. You didn't specify whether you use synthetic or conventional, or and what your oil change interval is, whether it's every 3k or 5k or 7k. If you don't change your oil, eventually it will sludge up and won't really be oil anymore. There will be increased wear on the engine, and eventually it will seize up after a very long time of not changing the oil.

You may get a year, or so out of the car. But, that will cause excessive wear. The oil not only suspends dirt, but the friction heat causes the oil to be less & less effective. I change the oil in my truck (Filter, too) when it starts getting dark. I use a full synthetic & heavy duty filter. I've gotten 385,000 miles on a car.

• Ron

That asteroid that has been circling the moon for three weeks will come crashing to earth

Nothing will happen.

it's all +/-, so no big deal .........................................