Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

If you were including the title of your favorite Jane Austen book in your paper, which of the following would be the correct way to do so?

In my favorite book, Sense And Sensibility (by J. Austen)…

In my favorite book, Sense And Sensibility (1908)…

In my favorite book, Sense And Sensibility (Austen)…

In my favorite book, Sense and Sensibility (Austen, 1908)…

• John

In my favourite book, 'Sense and Sensibility' published in 1811, and written by Jane Austen.......

I'm not sure where 1908 might come from, if your book is dated that, you might add, ....my 1908 Edition is a treasured possession.....

Your own preference for a particular work lacks objectivity so you should avoid stating it in an academic paper, not that you can't have an opinion, of course.  Cite the work in the normal way depending what format you are following. Jane Austen, in her 1815 novel "Emma", gives us one of literature's worst snobs in the guise of Mrs Elton, possessed of new money but few social graces (Austen 1989).  Note that in the citation you are guiding your reader to the edition you used, not the first year of publication

I would keep it simple.

"In my favourite book, Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility" (1808) ..."

I do hope 1908 was just a typo, but getting it wrong TWICE suggests not ...

"My favourite book, Janes Austen by Sense And Sensibility, priced at 19 dollah and 8 cen', thankings". That's the way I'd do it.

• Tina

'Sense and Sensibility' was certainly not published in 1908 for a start.

• Marli

CITATION in the NOTES and BIBLIOGRAPHY: It depends on the style manual for that your school has required you to use. (MLA, Chicago)

IN THE TEXT: "In "Pride and Prejudice", by Jane Austen ... [italacize or underline title, according to the style manual directions. I used quote marks because my machine does not italicized or underline text]"

or

"In her novel "Pride and Prejudice",  Jane Austen wrote that ... [or wrote, " It is universally acknowledged..."]

or 

Jane Austen wrote... ("Pride and Prejudice". Chapter 1.) using the form dictated by the style manual your school has said you follow.

The year "Sense and Sensibility" was first published was not 1908. Check the reverse side of the title page of your copy of the book to get the year of publication by the publisher of your copy.  If the year it first appeared in print ("First published by Egerton's ... in ...") is not there, a Google search by title should find Wikipedia or another website that will tell you that )

• Elaine

Title of book should be in italics or enclosed in quotation marks.  No brackets around by J. Austen