Rosemary asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Bruising approx. 1 inch from spaying incision sight. Is this normal?

She is an 8 pound chihuahua. My dog was spayed on Monday.  Today is Thursday.  She has what looks like a bruise on the side of her stomach about 1 to 1.5 inches from the incision that is sensitive to touch.  Should I be worried?  She has been mostly inactive since the surgery only getting up to go potty or to eat.  Her apatite is about half of what it normally is.  Her largest hurdle is getting on top of a 4 inch twin mattress that we put on the floor for her.  We also put a pillow on the floor as a step up to the mattress. She kind of ignores the pillow and leaps up onto the mattress. 

I would understand the bruising if it were at the incision sight. My concern is because it is so far away from the sight.

Some dogs go through the procedure & are themselves right away & it doesn't bother them & you can't keep the still to save your life.  Your dog is probably a pampered pup & will play this out to the end.  Getting all this special attention.  Some dogs play it for what it is worth.  They will also act like they are still hurting just to get attention.  I would not worry about the bruise, I would figure that it happened during the procedure & most likely harmless.

I personally think that you should go back to the vet and get it checked out. It *could* be normal, but with everything else you said, it sounds like she's struggling a bit with healing. I don't know how old your dog is, but puppies bounce back faster. I know all dogs are different and will handle surgery differently, but if I remember correctly, my pup was eating a ton and almost back to normal by day 4. He still had a good amount of bruising and discoloration, but it was right at the site of the incision and spread only a little from there. He wanted to jump on the couch, jump off the stairs, and chase his tail by day 4. 

If your pup is older, this may be normal. It wouldn't hurt to call the vet, though, just in case.

• keerok

She's eating and I'm guessing she's drinking plus she pees and poo. All those are signs that she's functioning normally. Of course she's weak and eat less. She's in pain. She's recovering so just let her be. Remove the pillow already and make sure there's fresh clean water near her all the time.