Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

My girlfriend always brings up that i hooked up with a friend of her's years ago?

I have been with my girlfriend for over a year and any chance she gets she decides to get upset because i used to sleep with a friend of hers. It was nothing serious to either one of us. She didn't even know we knew each other until a get together we all attended. She asked me so many questions and gets insecure. I have told her if I wanted to date her friend i would have tried to, but we had nothing special. I dont see this issue resolving. Sometimes I just want to end things with her because I hate hearing about the past and she knows i feel this way, but she continues to do it. What do i do??

This is why dating within friend circles is never a good idea. I know you said you didn't know at first, but you need to have a serious sit down and work through it or just pull the plug. She will always be insecure and thinking whether the friend was better than her, or if you still want to hook up with her.

dump her, she wont change

Your girlfriend's insecurities are showing. There's little or nothing you can do, if reassurance hasn't worked, this is a job for a therapist.  In addition, what went on in your past, before you two came together, should have no bearing and in fact, is not her business.  I would suggest that you share this with her, and her response will tell you what you should do.

Rent to own...........feel me?

What you should have done long before now. I'm not bothering to say because you said it already. Here's a hint though. The only way to resolve a problem with insecurity is to make that insecurity disappear!

What can anyone do about the past other than to ask God to forgive us for it and move forward not repeating the same sins that offends Him and our future spouse. 

Hebrews 13:4 

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral

Tell her it makes you uncomfortable and stressed and that you don’t want her to talk about her again. And if she keeps doing it without stopping and then just break up with her. 

Suggest that the two of you go to couples counseling because she is very insecure.