Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 months ago

Are these antipsychotic withdrawal symptoms normal?

I was prescribed aripiprazole (15mg) to treat my bipolar disorder (and possible schizoaffective disoder) last week. On the first day I was afraid to take the whole pill so I split it in half and took it. After one and a half hours I started to feel extremely sleepy and nauseous, I couldn't eat at all and only could spend a few hours awake all day. I also experienced feverish symptoms, it was exactly like having flu. I promised myself I'd never take that pill again.

On the second day I still felt tired, but I could spend my day awake, and my nausea also started to dissipate. It's been a week since I took that half pill and my physical symptoms had gone away, but I started to experience severe paranoid symptoms while doing the shopping yesterday. I thought everyone was out to harm me and people could read my mind and they were talking about me and laughing at me. I also heard a voice in my head which I'd describe as a monster's shout. (I've never experienced such an intense paranoia, but I'm familiar with its milder form, and I also have some visual hallucinations, that's why I was also given a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder).

Is it normal to experience symptoms like this after just half a pill? Am I developing psychosis?

The reason I didn't want to take them anymore is because I'm hypomanic right now, I'm unsure if I need medication to treat it. I function better than ever. I might start taking them again if the side effects won't last for weeks or so, as it was truly impossible to carry on with my duties with those side effects.

Why couldn't you ask your pharmacist?  Also, why can't you find a PDR and look it up?  Physician's Desk Reference.  Dosing is related to body size and amount of drug in the blood.  Taking half a dose could make a problem just like taking too much could make a problem.

you did not take enough to have withdrawals. what you're feeling is the side effects. either the medication is too strong a dose or it is not the right medication for you and your body is telling you this. if you feel like that i would strongly urge you to tell your doctor that you need a different medication

Start by following the advise your therapist gave you and take your medication as directed.

• LAN

You prove you are an idiot by not following your doctors orders and prescription.   Why should anyone believe you?

You should have taken the pills. You would have gotten used to them in a couple of weeks and by now you'd be feeling better.