allie asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Lepto shot?

Should I get my puppy the lepto shot? Ive been hearing its not worth the risk. 

• Lauren

Depends on where you live whether lepto is a risk or not. Lepto gets blamed for many vaccine reactions. Sometimes the real problem is that a lot of vaccines were given at one time (too much adjuvant given at once) and then the lepto vaccine gets blamed for it. The reaction may not be from the lepto vaccine at all but the fact that several vaccines were given at once. You can also have the lepto vaccine given just by itself and that may be safer if you are concerned but the risk is high where you live.

It is NOT included where I live.  I spoke with my Vet, reviewed the data, both of my dogs got the shot.

It is included in the puppy shots isn't it?  Ask your Vet.

Core vaccines only, and those NEVER more than once every 3 years - and that's over-vaccinating, unless you live somewhere lepto would be necessary.

• *****

Depends on your puppy's lifestyle and your location. Discuss the risks and benefits with your veterinarian.