Would you recommend moving to Hawaii after High School?  ?

My friend and I are trying to save up to move to Hawaii after high school ends. We graduate in 2023 and want to explore during college. I want to be a Physical Therapist and Hawaii Pacific University is growing it's DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy) program. If you could let me know if you recommend Hawaii Pacific University and moving to Hawaii. Thank you.

I would recommend HPU if you have the financial resources to cover the costs of living here. Expenses tend to be high here since Hawaii has to import much items from the mainland.

Here is an example..

1 gallon of milk may average $10...

1 loaf of bread may average around $4...

Source(s): Resident of Hawaii since 2018.

That answer is simple - NO.  Sounds like the only reason you want to go to HPU is because its in Hawaii.  Cost of living, never mind tuition will be high.  And travel costs to go home will not be cheap either.  I'm sure there are more suitable places to get your PT degree that don't require moving to the most isolated archipelago in the world

Not really. Hawaii is very expensive. However, if you can afford it and get accepted to Hawaii Pacific University, go ahead.

• drip

Check out out of state tuition. Check out room and board costs.  (Just under $58,000 per year) And the cost of off campus housing around the campus. A studio apartment around the school starts at $1000.

The cost of living is high there. That means food, gas, car insurance. Utilities are much higher. A gallon of milk can be $5.00(at Costco) to $9 on Oahu. 

Get your undergrad degree done with as little Cost and student debt as possible.  Then apply to  Hawaii Pacific University PT graduate school.

Going to school in a new place is often a very good way to get to live there for a while and getting to know the place. You would need to be full time students to live in the dormitories, which would be the cheapest way to live in Hawaii. But you need to look at the out of state tuition charges for Hawaii Pacific. Also, what are the requirements for the DPT program? For most doctorates, you need to have a 4 year undergraduate degree first. You could do that at HPU. There are usually a lot of jobs in the tourism industry. If you have any experience waiting tables, for example, it would make it a lot easier to get a job. You might look at doing that before you graduate, just to get some experience. 

You're talking about 2 different things.  Moving there and going to school there aren't always the same.  If you're talking about part time college, then that is different.  That aside, getting 'somewhere else' for college is great.  Hawaii is expensive and if you haven't been there maybe not what your expecting, but it would be an adventure for sure.  Sorry, no idea specifically about HPU other than what I'm reading.  It has a 25% graduation rate.  That tells me there are A LOT of people who aren't serious about their education and maybe have gone there simply because it's Hawaii.

I think alot would depend on college costs (it would for me anyways, and out of state).  Living there wont be cheap either, so that would be a factor for me back when I was in college.