Joseph asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

If I adopt a dog from a shelter how can i get my dog to love me like these dogs love their owner?

Favorite Answer

Spend as much time with the dog as you can, bond tightly with the dog by doing everything together, give the dog love, support, discipline and routine, in turn the dogs should bond with you.   If I were ever to leave for a few weeks to months the reunion should be just as heart warming as on that video link.  I’ve been separated many times over the years from my dogs.

Every time I have to leave my dogs for several weeks to months at a time they act just like the dogs on that video did.  Several of my guys are adopted.  Most were given as unwanted pets because they were not trained up properly.  Even with discipline and infanite understanding the dogs do love their primary caretakers. 

Shelter dogs come from various backgrounds and most of the time the shelter doesn't know the how story.  I have adopted 5 dogs over the years from humane societies from puppies to a 9 year old chihuahua.  I find it best to speak kindly and softly and to let the dog get use to you in their chosen time frame.  Don't force the issue.  They usually warm up fast as they need gentle love and attention just like we do.  You can offer to pet them or play with them and give them a treat.  Hold your hand out to them palm down to let them sniff you.  If they come close enough to sniff try running the back side of your hand gently/softly along their neck/body/back depending on what part of them you can reach then flip hand over if they stay to start gently petting them. Don't go straight to hugging them right off the bat as they may find this to be scary entrapment.  Don't let them have free reign of the house as you want to keep them in the room where you are so they get use to your habits/scent/being.  Most of the time shelter dogs are grateful to find a loving human companion that is gentle with them and takes the time to get to know them.  Best of luck. 

Source(s): Personal experience

Be nice to him.  Never ever hit him and never yell at him either.  Feed him twice a day and give him an after dinner dog biscuit - a quality one, not one that contains refined flour.  Walk him every day, take him for runs in a park, hug him daily, tell him that he is a good dog - often.  Give him wrapped birthday and Christmas presents and if he doesn't get how to open them, help him.

Show the dog lots of love.  Keep the dog safe.  Don't act like an a$$.