Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

After how many hours should you replace the oil and filter in a lawn mower engine? how depends ?

like 50 hours? how depends on how dusty it has been etc?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

For most homeowners who are just mowing their own lawn, maybe running the mower an hour per week, changing the oil once per year (typically at the beginning of mowing season) is more than enough.

If you have a large lawn, mow year round, and/or mow for other people then changing it twice per year is not unreasonable.

Some people never change their oil (see one pull honda guy) and the mower still lasts for years. But as the oil gets old and absorbs moisture it loses its lubrication properties and it will cause excessive engine wear. It can also get gummy & sticky and cause resistance which means less power and more fuel burn. But for the average homeowner who mows an hour per week with a mower that has twice the power it really needs, they may never notice these effects and the mower might still last for 10 years or more.

Don't forget to clean the air filter regularly - at least once per year when you do the oil change, but as often as once per week is reasonable if you generate a lot of dust when you mow.

• 4 weeks ago

If you check your oil before you start your mower, you'll see how long it lasts and how clean it is. Check it every time. It takes a minute or two and will save your mower. Add oil if it's low. Replace the oil and filter once at the end of the season, before you store it. 

• 4 weeks ago

Never saw a lawn mower oil filter.  It takes less than a quart of oil so change it often.

• 4 weeks ago

Depends on the engine's requirements. Mine gets changed once a year as part of the "winter maintenance".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Barry
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Use fully synthetic and change it annually.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

My lawns are green grass, so it is over 10 years and I have not changed oil in it yet. Same with cleaning air filter...maybe once.  Single pull to start Honda lawnmower.

• 4 weeks ago

I live in Florida so I mow year round.  I change the oil twice a year and the air filter once a year, swap out the blade twice a year and change the spark plug every couple of years.  

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Toyota T100/gear oil/lawn mower troll strikes again.

• Mog
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

50 hours.      

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.