Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Do you think having many sexual partners diminishes a woman's ability to pair-bond with a man?

• Elana
    Favorite Answer

I do - sort of.

I think having lots of sexual partners correlates with inability to long term pair-bond with a man (or woman).

Which is to say, lots of partners may be a sign of some other problem which will also make it hard to pair bond, or perhaps inability to pair-bond might cause lots of partners, or having had so many partners may actually cause a person to have problems settling down and/or finding a person that wants to settle down with her.

Cause is difficult to determine.

One things is for certain here - BOTH genders have this issue.

A guy who has had sex with 100 women will have, essentially, the same problems as a woman who has had sex with 100 guys in pair bonding.

I don't think the problem is insurmountable, but it may take some work.

You can imagine someone always thinking there's somebody better coming along (and having experience to prove it) so not committing, or somebody who doesn't see the utility in committing generally.

In any case, it's not a gendered thing.

What IS a gendered thing is that we tend to denigrate women who have had lots of partners and praise men who have...

To a point.

If we were talking about a guy who had 10,000 partners, we would think something was wrong with him (other than being tired).

So yeah, your idea of an appropriate number may vary by gender (I don't think it should but that's so ingrained into society and I am but one), but the concept remains the same.

• Paul

Yes, and vice-versa.

No, it doesn't. It just wrecks a good reputation.

Not in the slightest, no.  Also, why ask this about women specifically?

No, not in the slightest.  What having many partners does do is, teach a person what they do and don't like with regards to intimacy. On the other hand if protection isn't used, it can lead to a higher risk of std/sti infections 

Yes. That's just my take and observance in my social circle.

Sometimes when people love someone they can't tell how they feel they have many other sexual partners. Trying to find someone half as decent as the one they love.

• yeah, probably...

anything is possible

• Bill

The issue is that people that have many sexual partners more often than not started out with a poor ability to pair bond.