Caitlin asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Any advice on how to deal/cope with chronic depression?

I'm 20 years old I've actually been suffering with depression going on 11 years now. At 17 it got better but then when my mom died last year it's got back to being worse.. I've tried to reach out to closest friends but never get anything... My fiance has been different since his dad got out of prison... My grandma has dementia and blood cancer and sometimes she forgets what we've talked about and it breaks my heart because I know it's not her fault.. My dad is there sometimes then he has his moments as well where he doesn't want to hear it..I have tried doing hobbies I like but tbh I've lost interest in that as well.. I've tried to make plans with friends but it never goes through.. People make promises and doesn't hold up to them.. I honestly feel trapped and now a days for the past 6 weeks or so I'm happier in my sleep because my dreams are happy but when I wake up it's like a dark cloud.. Does anyone have any advice or something? And yes I'm on medicine..

My advice to you is to contact the doctor who prescribes your medication because you need something else.  You would probably benefit from grief counseling at this point.

Also, the TYPE of depression you may have could be endogenous depression or major depression.  This type of depression is hereditary and genetic and is chronic and life long but can be managed well with the right medications and supportive therapy.

Do you have a full time job and are you supporting yourself?  If not, then you are not functioning and that needs to be addressed too. 

I wish you all the best.