Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 4 weeks ago

What fixings are best to hang a 14kg mirror to a plasterboard wall? And what size? ?

• 6 days ago

First I would find where the studs are and see if you can hang it by simply nailing or screwing into one or two studs.    They should be 16 inches apart.   If that will not work then I would use the drywall anchors that go thru the wall then the two ears open out with a spring.   Then you screw the screw until they are tight against the back of the drywall.   I would use at least two.  

couple of number 10 or 12 wood screws sunk at least 3.5cm into the studs.  I put a washer on the screw before putting it into the stud ... makes its easier to hang the wire on the back of the mirror or framed picture -- Grampa

• elhigh

Four regular hollow wall anchors will do.  

Is the mirror drilled?  If it has 4 fixings you are looking at a load of 3.5kg on each. Even the most basic of plasterboard fixing plugs will take more than that - you then need some mirror screws with little domed (or flat) chrome caps to conceal the heads. spacing the mirror off the wall with rubber or felt washers to allow air to circulate behind used to be recommended but modern backings are usually more tolerant of contact with the wall.