Does it annoy you when successful rock bands release cover versions to make money?

• Guber
    Favorite Answer

Yes, they should just stick to their original material and forget covers.

Successful acts don't make a lot of money doing covers unless the recording sells well.

Your thinking is VERY short-sighted.  There are acts I might never have known about if I didn't hear their songs covered by someone else.  There are lesser acts who have earned a ton in royalties when a very successful act covered one of their songs.

I know a local singer-songwriter who is extremely talented, she puts out better music than most of the crap being put out today.  If one of those people putting out crap and earning millions was to cover just one of her songs, it might mean the difference between earning a decent living doing what she does (more of her income comes from doing commercial work on commission than gigging and putting out her own music), or putting her kids through college.

I think a cover shows their respect for the previous artist.  There are many covers that are actually better than the original, & are better-known.  That was especially so for covers made by white artists of songs originally done by blacks, as in the 1950's.  It was true for Dylan, particularly in his early years.  Face the fact that EVERY artist releases everything "to make money."  Why else do you think they do it?  

Some older artists have had revivals of their careers brought about by covers.  If they were the songwriter, they also made bags of $ in royalties.  I'm sure they don't complain.      

Well I can't see the point!

• Quato

You could be talking about Led Zeppelin, 'Baby I'm Gonna Leave You' and 'Dazed and Confused' were essentially cover songs.

Not at all. Some of the best rock music ever recorded are cover versions. For example, Eric Clapton's cover of Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing, Harry Nilsson's cover of Badfinger's Without You, Joan Baez's cover of Bob Dylan's Love is Just Another 4 Letter Word, Rod Stewart's cover of Elton John's Country Comfort. There are many songwriters out there who can barely sing, and there are a lot of great singers and instrumentalists who cannot compose music. The music world would be poorer if one can only play one's own compositions.

• John

In my rather long life I've never known anyone to use the word "annoy, or annoying" who wasn't annoying themselves. So there's that..................

• abdul

No, selling albums is why they make them in the first place.

• Chad

Im too busy a person to make a big deal of schit that really is trivial

No, why would it?