Is there any problem if I play the Beethoven song and upload it?

Hello? I am a student studying music. If I play a classic like Beethoven 9 and post it on my blog, is there any copyright issue?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

soltis' recording of the 9th w chicago  SO

yvonne minton ,marti talvela,& others,

recorded in the 70s at krannert hall,, urbana U of illinois

you tube has it

• 3 weeks ago

Are you talking about Beethoven's ninth symphony? That 's not a song. You shouldn't have a problem.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If it's for educational, non-commercial, reasons, instead of entertainment then you're pretty safe with anything (outside YouTube, they're some oddballs).

Beethoven should be fine though, he's long dead. The Ludster lives on in our musical hearts.

• 1 month ago

no, he died too long ago for there to be any copyright issues

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • User
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The work itself (the symphony) is public domain (because of its age).

If YOU are playing the instrument(s)

then it is your rendition of the piece

and (consequently) your intellectual property.

You can use it in any way you see fit.

If

for example

you are posting someone else's rendition of the piece

(someone other than you playing the instrument(s))

then it is not your intellectual property

and you need to find out if it is or is not public domain (i.e. if the copyright owner or law allows you to use it as you see fit)

or

gain permission from the copyright owner to use it for the specific purpose intended.

• 1 month ago

specific recordings can be copyrighted.  The music itself is in the public domain, but individual performances are the work of the individual(s) and typically are "owned" by the performers or whoever arranged for the performance.    You and a bunch of friends can play beethoven without any problem but someone else would not be able to take that recording and use it for their own ends without your permission, except with regard to filming of public performances.  Private for-sale recordings are definitely protected against unwarranted use.  Whether the holder of ownership will act if and when you use said recording is a separate discussion, but generally speaking, they can stop your use.  It can get complicated when you use snippets of a recording as well.  The limit as to how much you can use is open to argument.

• 1 month ago

Beethoven's *own written music* is in the public domain.  Any ARRANGEMENT or re-orchestration is copyrighted.  ALL recordings are copyrighted, unless you own school orchestra played from a photostat of the original, and CHOSE to make it PD - or are a group that legally has made this PD.  Teachers are allowed to use brief excerpts in an educational situation, ONLY for educational purposes.  If you subscribe to a streaming network, the FREE ones never finish a work, or play all the movements, do they?  And they have ads - so that is how they legally (but not always ethically) address this.  If you are in a PAID streaming service, you will hear entire works, and your fees go to paying the licenses for the streaming network to play them.

So - you are stealing.  I would think that if you were in a serious music school or conservatory, this would have been made plain to you by now.  And if you steal from the orchestra that performed this, you are also stealing form ME  - a career classical musician, multi-degreed, since 1973.  Karma will bite you back - you will perhaps compose and record something someday, and then wonder why your royalties are so paltry - and why you work is heard all over, with NO credit given to you - and no money, either.  Payback time, kid.

• 1 month ago

Any music written by Beethoven (I don't think he wrote any “songs”) is well out of copyright and so long as you post yourself playing it you're fine.

• No.  The music itself is a few hundred years out of copyright.  Your performance is copyright to you although if you then post it on a blog, it's in the public domain.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.