Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Are Marlins worthless now? I want a really good .30-30, and I don't want a Model 94 made by Mossberg, and the Henrys are 2 lbs heavier than ?

They have to be. 

You will not be disappointed with the Marlin.  My family has two in our inventory - both 45-70, stainless.  One is lighter and holds 5 rounds, other is a tad heavier and holds 7 I believe.  They are our 'thumpers' for big bear protection.

I like the Henry.  The reason I did not buy the Henry is the tube fed magazine.  Tube is fine for deer country.  Marlin has a side gate - lets me keep the weapon unloaded and safe if need be, but, quickly pop in a few quick round and fire them off...... not gonna happen with a tube fed.

We have modified our Marlins with items from Ranger Point Tactical and Wild West guns.  From Wild West we got the 'bullet proof' ejector.  From RPT we got the larger loop lever that fits a man's hand and also still lets it fit with light gloves.  The large loop from Ranger Point was a drop in - and - it actually fit better than the factory lever!  Also upgraded to the ghost sights that were standard on the 7 round model but not on my 5 round one.

I would recommend you consider 45-70 over 30-30.  45-70 ammo comes in three flavors.  One that is safe for the very old trap door models - this stuff is great for practice and letting kids or your wife learn.  Next is labeled for 'modern firearms' and is medium in power for smokeless guns made 1930's to 1980's.  Last is the hard cast 'Marlin 1896 only' and that hard cast will punch a clean hole through plate steel.  These three very different loads means you can have 30-30 like power with the trap door stuff, more power for black bear and deer - and then max power for grizzly and moose if you need that down the road.  Just something to consider.

Oh, one last thing in favor of the 45-70.  I hate being out big game hunting and have nice small game in sight.... but my big game gun would turn them into a fine red mist.  You can easily make 'foraging load' 45-70.  These were issued to troop so they could take small game while in the field.  The original were made with wood bullets.... you can find data online folks have pulled the bullet from cheap factory ammo, installed new powder, wad, #7 to #4 shot, and sealed it with a glue gun.  Now you have a chance at grouse and bunnies.  

If it’s a pre Remington then yes they are a except gun. If post Remington get something else 

• Robin

it doesnt matter if they are worthless. If they are cheap grab one if you want one. Dont worry about resale price. Plus the 30/30 is a good round. When I was last in Canada I used a Lee Enfield that had been converted to 30/30 and shot many deer with it.

I don't think so, mine is a keeper. Winchester is not so heavy, another worth keeping.

• John

I'm certain that the quality has diminished SOME since the Freedom Group acquired Remington, Marlin, and the now-defunct Harrington & Richardson.  But I have owned a total of probably a dozen Marlins (lever actions) in models 1895, 1894, 336, and 39-A.  I didn't own them all at once of course.  For the most part, you are still getting a quality firearm -- that, when compared to an Olin-Mathieson Winchester made between 1964 and 1980 -- is a better rifle.

You might consider a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington.  

• Adam D

I have a Marlin 336 from around 2010ish, and it is a fine-shooting gun.  Compared side-by-side with the same gun from the 80's (my father's), you can tell is isn't quite as nice.  The fit and finish just isn't as pretty or smooth.  But mechanically there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, very accurate rifle.  My only real complaint is the trigger is a little heavy for a hunting rifle.