mi asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Lost kitten, can she return home?

She's 16 weeks old, spent around 8 weeks with us and has been missing for 15 hours.

Domestic shorthair cat.

We've left food, water, a toy and some clothes near our garage door which is slightly open, big enough for her to enter.

Update:

According to CCTV, she went under my car and vanished after. After we left, she didn't turn up. The garage was open but she didn't go in. If she left, we should have seen it, but we didn't.

Update 2:

She's back lads!!!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

my cat returned after 10 days. hopefully it will return.

• 1 month ago

She's not lost she's DEAD thanks to you letting her free roam.  I'm also you didn't bother to spay her so in the one in a million chance she isn't she'll likely come back PREGNANT which could also kill her. You're a horrible pet owner.

• 1 month ago

Hopefully it was not run over by a car. 

• 1 month ago

my cat/kitten dug a hole in the screen and got out, she came back home. Put some of her dirty litter out so she can smell her sent

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I doubt it.  She's too young to know her way home.  Likely at her age someone picked her up (if she was lucky).  If not, wild animals probably killed her.  If she was kept inside she would not be missing now.

• 1 month ago

no she will not return home. i hope someone nice gave her home. i would suggest u call nearest shelters, maybe someone found her and gave to shelter

• PR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You will need to check each and every hiding spot where the kitten may be. Look in the following:

-In your garage: Since you have opened the garage you will need to look all over your garage. There are lots of hiding spots in a garage. If you don't immediately find the kitten, close the garage door and place a dish with a small amount of tasty food in it. Leave the garage for an hour or two and when you go back, see if the food is gone. If it is gone, you know the kitten is INSIDE the garage. Be sure you also place a litter box in the garage.

NOT IN THE GARAGE: If the kitten is not in the garage try the following:

-Under decks: Take a flashlight and shine it under deck if you have one. Cats usually hide in secluded places. You will either see the kitten or the flash of her eyes with the light

-Crawl spaces: If there is any opening to the crawl area of your house or a neighboring house, you will need to check this or place food outside and near the opening.

-Garden sheds: If any garden sheds were open you need to check these RIGHT AWAY, since if it is hot outside she could overheat. Ask any neighbors to open their sheds if they were used within the last couple days.

-Night: At night a cat is more likely to come out. Go around at night with a bag of cat food, calling her name, and rattling the bag. Stop once in awhile and listen. 

-Shelters: Although missing for only 15 hours it is not likely the kitten is at a shelter, you should check shelters right away. Check by going to each shelter in person to look. Staff at shelters are notoriously bad at describing animals in their facility.

-Signs: Make lots of signs out of poster board. Make the letters six inches tall and easily read from about 20 feet away. The signs should say, "LOST CAT/(PHONE)". Place on all street corners. If someone either has seen your kitten, or found her and has her inside, they can call you. 

I would suspect the kitten is likely inside the garage, but of course could also be hiding somewhere else. 

Once you find the kitten, be sure to put a collar and I.D. tag on her. Be sure she is also spayed, because unspayed female cats are much more likely wander. A kitten who is acclimated to the outdoors is also less likely to get lost. 

If you allow the kitten outside, be sure she comes in before dark, because it is not safe for cats and kittens to wander around at night. Yes, it is very possible to find your kitten and she is probably still hiding. Keep looking and you will probably find her within a day or two. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If she is still alive she may return home if she is still in the neighborhood. Give it a couple of weeks. You may also call the local pound and animal shelter and see if they have a cat that looks like yours.

• 1 month ago

At four months old your cat is most likely gone. I hope she returns, but don't expect her to come home.

• D1218
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Yes, certain cats have more sense than regular human beings. They can find their way home by sense unless they refuse to come across that same area again.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.