Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 month ago

What origin does the surname "GANN" sound like, if you were just to guess?

This has a very African sounding name to me zz

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , , 

Last name: Gann

This interesting surname is the Anglicized form of the old Gaelic-Irish name "Mac Gann", which itself is the Connacht version of "Mac Cann", from "mac", son (of) and "cana", wolf-hound. In Irish, Mac Gann is "Mag Annaidh", the prefix, "Mac" changing to "Mag" when before a vowel.   FOUND ON LINE

• Isabel

Sounds Germanic, to me.

Sounds Irish, but just guessing.

I'd guess English, but I'd be wrong.

Gann Name Meaning1) Irish: reduced form of McGann.

2) German: from the personal name Gano, or, in Austria, a short form of Candidus, a personal name from Latin candidus ‘bright’, ‘white’, ‘clear’, ‘beautiful’ (see Kann).

3) German: topographic name for someone who lived near an expanse of scree, Middle High German gant.

Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press

• Maxi

All surnames are words all words come from langauge origins, in that format it is an English language word, so THAT surname from any country which speaks the English language, however likely to be translated from another words from one of several other languages, like Scottish Gaelic, Irish or German