What would you do if your kid came out of the closet?

A.) Support them Unconditionally

B.) Pretend you didn't hear them

C.) Argue with them

D.) Cry in Anger

E.) Cry in happiness

Favorite Answer

My kid did come out of the closet.

Support, unconditionally. That's what parental love is. You don't love your kid only when they are what you hope for them or expect from them. You love them, period.

I was glad my kid felt safe sharing this with us, and sad for the many friends my kid has whose parents have cut them off completely, as if they never existed.

If they were physically hiding in a closet? Why are they doing that? Are we playing hide & go seek? Are they ducking their chores?... it depends

Figuratively- A) ... but I'd be a tad disappointed in myself; I would hope that they would already feel comfortable being able to share big stuff like that with me.

Source(s): It's all hypothetical; I have no kids. (*Pats self on back)

Pretend you didn't hear them

It's the closet. nothing special

• close the closet door.

Just support them to become whoever they want to become.

A.) No question about it. The other choices seem truly asinine.

Mine did. My 'kid' was 17 at the time and I figured old enough to know their own mind. Why wouldn't I support her?

• Happy

A I suppose............

Carry on exactly as before.

F.) Tell them that I don't truly believe them, and explain that the emotional amoeba that is sex and relationships has driven them to this point. 

I'd support them, and it wouldn't change my relationship with them, but I'd give as much credibility to their claim to gayness as I give to people who are 'allergic to cheap restaurants'.