Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 1 month ago

What’s the difference between the Liverpool accent and Manchester one ?

I’m from the south and they both sound the same to me 

• TSK

Liverpool accent more influenced by that of Irish and Welsh people moving to the city..

• snafu

I’m from the south and they most definitely do not sound alike. The Liverpudlian accent has more of an Irish influenced lilt, a Mancunian accent a softer midlands twang.

Maybe at first when you're not familiar with the accents, and hearing them regularly, but actually they sound very different. Look up on youtube people doing the accents, you'll soon hear the difference, and be able to easily hear it. It's about becoming familiar.

• Clive

What does this have to do with travel?

But as you ask, and as a Londoner, I couldn't mistake one for the other.  Mancunians sound more generically "northern" to me, I could confuse them with Yorkshire people, but I can't mistake Scousers.  I really can't.  Listen to John Bishop - so obviously from Liverpool.  Actually he's a good example of the extreme of it, so look up some of his stand-up comedy on youtube and it could help you.

Whenever I've worked with people from Liverpool I could tell as soon as they said anything, and I've never met one I didn't like.  Even the one who said I'm posh "but you can't help it, la!"  (La = lad.)  Yes I speak MRP and WTF can I do about it?

The Liverpool accent sounds to me most like Birmingham/Black Country, except that Liverpudlians sound less like they have a blocked nose.  It's really odd that this one spot sounds so distinctive and similar to somewhere so far away.  It's probably because of all the Irish immigrants to Liverpool in the past.

• People from Liverpool sound like they steal cars and people from Manchester sound like they sell stolen cars.