Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

How to ditch everyone during covid on my birthday?

For some reason when you tell people you want to spend your birthday in solitude decrying this dread and mournful stage of your miserable life alone they take it to mean “please throw me a surprise birthday party”? Unfortunately this is my twenty first birthday and so now its adding obligatory alcohol consumption that I don't care for and I will even be expected to pay for myself. Normally I make up some excuse, like I “forgot” to schedule the day off at work, or I'm hanging out with other people, etc, but that's not gonna fly this year. I originally assumed this birthday would be easy because I could just pretend to go to vegas or out binge drinking with ppl or whatever and people might buy it since it’s traditional.

Is there any excuse I can use to get out of it or at least convincingly persuade others not to surprise party me? I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I know they think they are doing me a favor, but also I really really really don't want to get cornered and forced. Should I just go hide out in the woods till it's over? Should I just become a Jehovah's witness?

• Ocimom

Just tell them you are planning a quiet birthday at home and will not go to any parties.  Then lock the door and don't answer the phone.

• r

Just be honest and tell them

• Alan H

Alcohol is NOT obligatory. 

Why not simply arrange a Zoom party, where each has their choice of food at home,  Say you are safely distancing

Why don't you try being an adult and telling them the truth? 

No,   don't become  a  Jehovah's Witness,    but just somehow fine some reason to make yourself unavailable 

• Tj

Keep yourself unavailable for days before and after your birthday. I hate any party for mine...they tried to pull a surprise on me.......All I did is turn around and left. These people knew, I hated any party or even the mention of a birthday...they are NO longer my friends, because they allowed it to happen and were part of it. I will never allow anyone disrespect my wishes ever in my life.  This has happened to me once with friends and once at work, both times I walked  away with giving them my middle finger.   DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE FORCED OR CORNERED.  IF YOU MUST, GET A CAN OF PEPPER SPRAY TO USE ON THEM, OR ANY TYPE OF WEAPON. KEEP IT ON YOU AT ALL TIMES.  It is your right, not theirs.  Screw their feelings, they do not care about yours. If anyone asks about your birthday, speak up and tell them no party, no nothing, and proceed to tell them you refuse to have any part of any celebration. If anyone does they will not like your reaction.  Stand up for your wishes, not others. If they pull a party, can always go were food and the cake is out and toss it all on the floor. The will get the hint then.

Tell them you are socially isolating with your uncle and aunt who are giving you a family birthday party.

Tell everyone to come to your house for your 21st birthday party, and you go get a hotel and never show up. They'll go ahead and get drunk and party and they'll just forget you were ever even supposed to come.

yeah, right, keep living in your imaginary little world. u do not have anyone to come to your party so u pretend u do not want it

Send a general email that thanks your friends for understanding that you are not in shape to confront the COVID-19 virus, and honoring your request that your 21st be postponed to a future birthday when things are back to normal. Emphasize that you are hermirt-ing down, and don't encourage any contact untill this mess is over.You don't need an excuse, not wanting to be infected with a deadly disease is reason enough.