Can my mom break her lease without penalty?

My mother's car got shot up today in her apartment complex. My mother has made multiple complaints to the leasing office about the shootings that happen in the neighborhood. There have been shootings prior to this one that have happened where other people's cars have gotten shot up but this is the first time, the offender has hit her car. She called the police and I'm sure they took a report. She says the police patrol the area but nothing has happened and obviously who ever is doing this hasn't gotten caught. All the leasing office does is send out letters to the residents! There aren't any security cameras or other forms of security. What can she do about this situation until she is able to move out in September. I am terribly concerned about her safety. She is a sweet person and minds her business and I am very frustrated and upset about this!

The leasing office has no control over shootings in the neighborhood.  She cannot break her lease without penalty.  

No, she cannot. The landlord bears NO legal responsibility for what goes on in the neighborhood. If the police aren't doing anything, what's a landlord supposed to do?  They are just as much a victim.  Your mother can move when her lease expires and there's nothing the landlord can do to stop her.

she can try and do that

You haven't described anything that would allow your mom to break her lease without penalty.  It's not the apartment's fault that the neighborhood is bad.  It's not their responsibility to put up cameras to catch everything that happens.  It sounds like this entire situation existed when she chose to sign the lease in the first place.

It sounds like she made a bad choice as far as where to live.  Breaking the lease in an apartment often means 1 to 2 months of rent as a penalty.  She's have to read her lease to know for sure.  If she can afford or figure out how to pay this, then encourage her to.  Safety should come first here.

you need to file an insurance claim.